Getting on the road in Ireland is relatively straightforward. You will, of course, need a driver’s licence. The National Driver Licence Service is responsible for licencing drivers in Ireland. If you’ve got a vehicle, you’ll need to make sure that it’s taxed and insured. What’s involved?

Do I need to get an Irish driver’s licence?

EU & EEA Licences

Drivers with an EU or EEA member state licence need never change to an Irish licence. If they wish to exchange their licence for an Irish one, they must do so within 10 years of their driver’s licence expiring.

Other Licences

Visitors to Ireland from outside the EU or EEA can drive on a licence from their own country for up to a year, provided that it is current and valid. Once you are ‘normally resident’ in Ireland – living here at least 185 days out of each calendar year – you are obliged to exchange your driver’s licence for an Irish one, or apply for a driving licence in Ireland.

Irish Driving Licence

How do I apply for a licence?

Recognised states

If you hold a licence from a ‘recognised state’, you can exchange your current driver’s licence for an Irish one. Currently, the recognised states are:

  • Australia
  • Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario and Manitoba
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • Isle Of Man
  • Japan
  • Jersey
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Switzerland
  • New Zealand
  • Taiwan

You can exchange your licence for up to one year after it expires. When you apply, you’ll need:

Other countries

Visitors from other countries may drive on Irish roads under their own licence for 12 months. After this period, you’ll need to apply for an Irish licence by completing the full driver licensing procedure. You must first pass a driver theory test before applying for a learner permit. This allows you to take a course in Essential Driver Training. If you pass the test at the end of this course, you can apply for a full Irish driving licence.

The Essential Driver Training course comprises 12, one-hour lessons. It is mandatory to take these lessons and hold your Learner Permit for six months before you apply for your driving test.

Vehicle tax and insurance

It is illegal to drive a vehicle that has not been taxed and insured in the Republic.

Motor tax

The motor tax rate you pay will depend on the age of your vehicle. Vehicles built before July 2008 are assessed on the size of their engines. Those built after that date are assessed on their CO2 emissions – the more your car emits, the more it will cost to tax. Over time, it pays to have a newer, well-serviced car. You can tax your vehicle online.

Car insurance

You must insure your car before you can legally drive it on Irish roads. This must at least cover third-party expenses, although comprehensive cover is the best option – it covers you and any other people who might be involved in a road incident.

You might also like...

Getting Around

There are plenty of options for getting from A to B in Dublin. This is a fairly compact city, which means walking and cycling are viable options for getting around; you can walk from many of the city’s outlying districts to its centre in 30 or 40 minutes. Bus Dublin Bus connects most parts of the city through a network of 200 routes that service 5,000 stops, with new services being added as the city grows. Go-Ahead Dublin, the newest bus company in Dublin, operates a fleet of

Read More

Safety & security

Ireland is a generally safe country. The 2018 Peace Index ranks it as the tenth-safest country in the world, just behind Japan. A 2017 Fáilte Ireland survey found that 97% of tourist felt safe and secure on their visit to Ireland. Those staying longer-term can expect to feel safe, too. Ireland’s crime rate is low by global standards

Read More

Healthcare & insurance

Ireland’s healthcare system is divided into public and private tiers. Public Ireland’s public healthcare system offers world-class care, partly funded by the government. If you are “ordinarily resident”, you can access a range of public health services that are free of charge or subsidised by the Irish government’s Health Service Executive (HSE). (You are considered to be “ordinarily resident” if you have been living in Ireland for at least one year – or you intend to live in the country for at least one year.) Holders of a European Health Insurance

Read More