The legal requirements for living and working in Ireland differ for people from different countries.

EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss citizens are entitled to move to the Republic of Ireland and work here without a visa or employment permit. People from further afield may need a visa and will require an employment permit before they can take up work.

Because Northern Ireland is part of the UK, the UK’s withdrawal from the EU (‘Brexit’) would make the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland an external border of the European Union. However, the Irish and UK governments and the President of the European Council have stated that they do not wish for what’s called a ‘hard border’ in Ireland.

Find more about the effects of Brexit and view our guide to immigration visas.

You might also like...

Recognising your qualifications

Your qualifications from home may not be immediately recognised by Irish employers and educational institutions. Looking for work is difficult enough without being thwarted by incompatible qualifications, so it’s important that employers can understand your hard-won credentials. Thankfully, there’s a process in place to help you compare your qualifications with the Irish equivalent. NARIC Ireland holds a database of over one thousand qualifications issued by institutions from around the world. Simply search the database, find your qualification and see how it compares to I

Read More

Work Culture

No two businesses are the same, so speaking about an ‘Irish work culture’ risks papering over the many differences between workplaces. Nevertheless, Ireland has a strong national character and this shapes how people work. With these provisos in mind, here’s a guide to Irish work culture. Irish business In general, the Irish like to think that their society is a meritocracy – those who cultivate their skills and put in a lot of hard work will rise to the top. Whether this is true or not is a matter of debate, but the belief pervades work life. Hierarchies are relaxed, people move on to first names swiftly, and socialising with colleagues is common. Bureaucracy and o

Read More

Tax and social security

You will need a Personal Public Service number (PPS number) to work in Ireland. It’s a unique reference number that helps you to access social welfare and public services. Irish Tax and Customs use this number to register you for income tax. Your PPS number will help you to access: All social welfare services Free Travel Pass for people over 66 years of age Public health services, including the medical card and the Drugs Payment Scheme Child immunisation Schemes run by the

Read More